Dozens of employees at an Amazon.com warehouse in New Jersey have been sickened after an aerosol can containing bear repellent was punctured, dispersing fumes into the air, according to an official.
About 80 workers reported trouble breathing Wednesday morning after a 9 oz. can of bear repellent was accidentally hit by an “automated machine” inside the 1.3 million-square-foot facility in Robbinsville Township, near Trenton.
The 255-gram can of bear repellent reportedly contained a concentrated amount of capsaicin, an active component of chile peppers.
24 of the workers were transported to hospitals in the area, one of whom was listed in critical condition. The conditions of the other patients were not immediately known. About 30 other workers were treated at the warehouse.
Amazon said workers are being evaluated and sent to hospitals as needed.