SD Bull Stud Facility Lassoed for Exposing Workers to Harmful Chemicals

Source: Michael Schroeder/123RF

Mitchell, SD – An employee death at a bull stud facility prompted an inspection by OSHA and a subsequent penalty of $122,602

The Daily Republic reports that on Nov. 20, 2019, 20-year-old Custom Genetic Solutions employee, Molly Schladweiler died at the Mitchell facility from asphyxiation after being exposed to liquid nitrogen.

Inspectors found that employees filled containers daily and cryogenic freezers weekly with liquid nitrogen.

OSHA determined the company failed to implement safety measures, such as oxygen monitoring or ventilation to ensure that the rapidly expanding liquid nitrogen did not displace the oxygen in the room.

Additionally, the company failed to train employees on potential health and physical hazards from working with nitrogen gas, and on how to detect the accumulation and release of the gas in freezers weekly.

OSHA also found Custom Genetic Solutions failed to properly train its employees on the risks of working with the material or how to detect levels of the gas in a room.

OSHA’s Recommended Practices for Safety and Health Programs provides employers with a plan for managing safety and health within their workplaces, including hazard identification and assessment, hazard prevention and control, and education and training.