OSHA has unveiled the poster for the 2019 National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction, which will take place May 6–10 across the U.S.
This annual event is intended to encourage employers and workers to have conversations about fall hazards, OSHA compliance, and industry best practices to prevent falls.
According to OSHA, fatalities caused by falls from elevation continue to be a leading cause of death for construction workers: in 2017, 366 of the 971 fatalities recorded in construction were attributed to falls.
Workplaces that participated in past years’ stand-downs
- Commercial construction companies;
- Residential construction contractors, subcontractors and independent contractors;
- Highway construction companies;
- General Industry employers;
- The U.S. military, other government participants, unions, trade associations, institutes, employee interest organizations; and
- Safety equipment manufacturers.
OSHA encourages any employer who wants to prevent falls in the workplace to participate.
Following the stand-down, participants will be able to download a certificate of participation and provide feedback about their experience.