EASTLAKE, OH – OSHA has cited Conn-Selmer Inc. for exposing workers to copper dust and machine hazards at the company’s Eastlake, Ohio, musical instrument manufacturing facility.
The company faces penalties of $200,230 for two repeated and seven serious safety and health violations.
OSHA inspectors determined that the company:
- Exposed workers to copper dust in excess of the recommended permissible exposure levels;
- Failed to provide machine guarding, adequate controls to minimize exposure, and safety procedures to prevent employees from coming into contact with operating parts; and
- Neglected to follow requirements for respiratory protection, electrical safety, and labeling hazardous chemicals.
For Willful and Repeat violations, OSHA can issue penalties up to $70,000 per violation. By actively pursuing more Repeat violations, OSHA is issuing much higher penalties.
OSHA’s most cited violations of 2018, (followed by the Standard in parenthesis):
1. Fall Protection (1926.501)
2. Hazard Communication (1910.1200)
3. Scaffolding – General Requirements (1926.451)
4. Respiratory Protection (1910.134)
5. Control of Hazardous Energy – Lockout/Tagout (1910.147)
6. Ladders (1926.1053)
7. Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178)
8. Fall Protection – Training Requirements (1926.503)
9. Machine Guarding– General Requirement (1910.212)
10. Personal Protective and Lifesaving Equipment – Eye and Face Protection (1926.102)