Illinois Company Jolted for Electric Shock Injuries to Employees

Source: Yongyut Chanthaboot - 123RF

GLENDALE HEIGHTS, IL – A metal treating company has been found liable for exposing workers to electrical shock hazards, resulting in the electrocution of one and serious injuries sustained by another employee.

OSHA has cited Hudapack Metal Treating of Illinois Inc. for 21 serious health and safety violations.

The company faces penalties of $181,662.

OSHA inspected the company in December 2018 after an employee was electrocuted while using a damaged portable lamp when cleaning the inside of a metal tank.

A second employee suffered electrical shock injuries in an attempt to assist the injured co-worker. Inspectors determined that the lamp’s cord had exposed bare conductors, and the lamp was unsuitable for use in wet locations.

They also found a damaged extension cord used to connect the lamp to power.

OSHA found that the company failed:

  • To use electrical safety work practices;
  • To provide appropriate personal protective equipment;
  • To train employees about electrical hazards, and
  • To repair damaged electrical outlets.

OSHA also cited the company for exposing employees to falls, and failing to implement lockout/tagout procedures and a permit-required confined space program.