SALEM, OR – Several people were evacuated from Carlson Testing Incorporated in northeast Salem, Tuesday, following reports of a fire and potentially hazardous chemical release at the business.
Patrick Wineman of Marion County Fire District No. 1 said several units were dispatched to 4060 Hudson Ave. NE around 2 p.m. to find a 10 gallon bucket of sulfur mortars, also known as capping compound, producing vapors that were assumed to be hazardous.
Wineman said the container had caught fire inside the building. Employees then to attempted to extinguish the flame and brought the container outside. According to their website, Carlson Testing provides comprehensive consulting services for special inspections, materials testing, and geotechnical and geological engineering throughout the western United States.
Upon arrival firefighters evacuated the testing lab and moved occupants away from the building where they were assessed by paramedics for signs of exposure, Wineman said. Fire personnel also searched inside the building for any additional victims. According to Wineman no one was injured.
Anna Kraemer of Marion County Fire District No. 1 said one person from a local business was evaluated for an irritated throat, prompting a reverse 911 call to nearby businesses that urged employees of nearby businesses to stay indoors, close windows and doors and turn off air conditioning units.
The person was not treated, according to Kraemer.