GRAND ISLAND, NE – Workers and patrons at the Hall County Administration Building and the nearby Health and Human Services Building were evacuated on Monday morning due to a natural gas leak.
Grand Island firefighters responded to the corner of Pine and Court streets about 10:10 a.m. and found a “major gas leak.”
Street Superintendent Shannon Callahan told SUN News that city street crews were using a concrete saw to remove damaged concrete in the intersection and accidentally cut through a gas line, which was more shallow than expected. Callahan said that it was 30 inches below grade.
Fire Chief Cory Schmidt said the 2-inch-diameter line was double-fed, meaning it carried a gas supply from both east and west.
NorthWestern Public Energy crews were immediately called in and were able to shut down the flow from one direction, but the leak remained “active,” so firefighters evacuated the area, the chief said.