An investigation revealed that eight pounds of ammonia were released from a compressor seal leak at the facility.
One employee was taken to a medical facility for evaluation but was able to return to work later that day.
According to the report, eight of the serious violations were related to OSHA’s process safety procedures, such as lack of training, failing to conduct periodic evaluations of processes and update procedures, and poor record keeping.
OSHA’s area director in Wichita, Judy Freeman, told SUN News that ammonia can cause immediate damage to skin, eyes and lungs.
Freeman added that the dangers of ammonia in the workplace are entirely preventable if employers follow the right procedures.