DES PLAINES, IL – A suburban neighborhood in Chicago is in shock this morning after a mysterious substance caused the death of two people, injured 1 critically, and sent 4 first responders to the hospital.
Around 3:30 p.m. Thursday, police were called to a northwest suburban townhome in the 9400 block of Harrison Street after receiving a report of three people in distress.
Upon entering the home, four Cook County sheriff’s officers were unexpectedly overcome by some sort of hazardous agent, authorities said.
Rick Dobrowski, chief of North Maine Fire Protection District said that the officers found two deceased adult males and a woman who was later hospitalized in critical condition. The deputies were also hospitalized for a short time after they had difficulty breathing, he said. They were treated and released.
Several residences around the home were temporarily evacuated while hazmat teams worked late into the night Thursday to try to figure out what that substance is.