Safety + Health, the official magazine of the NSC Congress and Expo announced today at their Congress in San Diego, that Fall Protection tops the list of OSHA’s most-cited safety violation, with more than 6 thousand cases, 85% more than the second-most violation, Hazard Communication.
This is the ninth consecutive year Fall Protection has received the most citations.
The rest of the preliminary list of OSHA’s Top 10 violations for fiscal year 2019 also remained largely unchanged from 2018, with only one minor adjustment. Lockout/Tagout, which ranked fifth in FY 2018, climbed one spot to No. 4, trading places with Respiratory Protection.
The full list:
- Fall Protection – General Requirements (1926.501): 6,010 violations
- Hazard Communication (1910.1200): 3,671
- Scaffolding (1926.451): 2,813
- Lockout/Tagout (1910.147): 2,606
- Respiratory Protection (1910.134): 2,450
- Ladders (1926.1053): 2,345
- Powered Industrial Trucks (1910.178): 2,093
- Fall Protection – Training Requirements (1926.503): 1,773
- Machine Guarding (1910.212): 1,743
- Personal Protective and Lifesaving Equipment – Eye and Face Protection (1926.102): 1,411
NSC President and CEO, Lorraine M. Martin said in a press release. “The OSHA Top 10 list is a helpful guide for understanding just how adept America’s businesses are in complying with the basic rules of workplace safety.”
Martin added, “This list should serve as a challenge for us to do better as a nation and expect more from employers. It should also serve as a catalyst for individual employees to recommit to safety.”