NY Construction Company Owner Indicted for Manslaughter

Coney Island Construction death scene2NEW YORK, NY – The owner of a  Bensonhurst construction company and his businesses have been indicted on manslaughter and other charges stemming from an incident at a Coney Island construction site in April 2015 that left a 50-year-old construction worker dead.

Salvatore Schirripa, 66 — who owns J & M Metro General Contracting Corp and Metrotech Development Corp., located on 63rd Street and 64th Street in Bensonhurst — was arraigned in Brooklyn Supreme Court on an eight-count indictment yesterday for failing to secure a building site, which caused the worker to fall to his death, according to DA Ken Thompson.

Schirripa and his companies were charged with second-degree manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, second-degree reckless endangerment, first-degree falsifying business records, offering a false instrument for filing, second-degree criminal possession of a false instrument, violation of the workers’ compensation law, and willful failure to pay contributions to the unemployment insurance fund, said Thompson.

Three of Schirripa’s employees from J & M Metro General Contracting Corp. were pouring and smoothing concrete on the sixth floor of a construction worksite at 360 Neptune Avenue on April 1, 2015, in Coney Island on the edge of a building, without a protective fence, harnesses or fall protection as required by the New York City construction regulations. At approximately 11 a.m, while walking backwards, using a rake-like instrument to smooth the concrete in front of him, one of the workers, Vidal Sanchez-Ramon, 50, reached the edge and fell six floors to his death, according to prosecutors.

On four different occasions, in September 2011, December 2011, April 2013 and August 2014, New York City Department of Buildings inspectors served Schirripa and Metrotech Development Corp., at three separate worksites in Brooklyn, with Notices of Violations, ordering them to immediately provide guardrail systems and handrails to protect workers from falls.

According to the statement from the DA’s office, Schirripa knew that his workers would have to step outside the protective fence to install wire mesh prior to the concrete pour and to smooth the concrete once poured. Yet Schirripa did not provide harnesses or other fall protection to his employees.

Schirripa was ordered held on $35,000 bail and to return to court on September 7, 2016. He faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.