50 Sickened in Pool from Excessive Chlorine Exposure

Source: Milkovi - Unsplash

Pleasant Grove, UT – Local police report that nearly 50 people got sick from a pool on Tuesday, most of them children.

Pleasant Grove Police Capt. Britt Smith said the main pump malfunctioned and pumped too much chlorine into the water. The chlorine turned to gas.

Smith said that 26 patients were transported to local hospitals by ambulance, and about the same number were taken by their families and friends.

Conditions like bloody noses, coughing, nausea, vomiting were reported – some were even reported to be in and out of consciousness.

Police said the county health department inspected the pool just weeks ago, and it was cleared to open

According to Medical News Today, chlorine poisoning is a medical emergency. If a person swallows or inhales a chlorine-based product and shows symptoms of poisoning, contact the emergency services or go to the hospital immediately.

In the United States, a person can also contact the National Poison Control helpline on 1-800-222-1222 for advice. This service is confidential and free of charge.

Chlorine can react with water to form hydrochloric acid and hypochlorous acid, which are highly toxic. When using any products containing chlorine, take care not to ingest or inhale them as the chlorine can react with water in the body to form these two harmful acids.