RALEIGH, NC – A Walmart store located at 4431 New Bern Ave. was closed to customers and employees Friday for about three hours following a hazmat scare.
The store was evacuated after a hazmat team was called to the store at 11:20 a.m. after some employees were overcome by fumes in the back of the building.
According to Wake County EMS, six people were taken to WakeMed after exposure to fumes from a bathroom. Some employees had to be treated for breathing problems.
According to a Walmart spokesman, a chemical reaction related to bathroom cleaning supplies led to the evacuation.