Store Owner Dies in Chemical Exposure Incident


scrapbook-store-flTallahassee, FL – The owner of a scrapbook store succumbed after exposure to a sulfide-based cleaner Thursday afternoon.

Ada Skvereckas was one of five people exposed to chemical odors inside the Flying Unicorn Scrapbook business, located at 1168 Capital Circle S.E., according to the Tallahassee Police Department.

Two of the injured were treated and released at the scene and three were transported to the hospital. Skvereckas was transported to Tallahassee Memorial HealthCare in critical condition but later died. The other two were in stable condition.

Tallahassee Police Friday said Skvereckas was using the chemicals inside the store when she was overcome by the fumes but gave few other details. They are continuing to process evidence and interview any witnesses. An autopsy was performed Friday, but an official cause of death will not be determined until a toxicology report is finalized.

Tallahassee Fire officials arrived shortly after 2:40 p.m. after reports of the noxious smell emanating from the strip mall where the scrapbooking business is located.

Hydrogen sulfide is a colorless gas with the characteristic foul odor of rotten eggs; it is heavier than air, very poisonous, corrosive, flammable, and explosive; properties shared with the denser hydrogen chalcogenides.

According to the DOL, Hydrogen sulfide gas causes a wide range of health effects. Workers are primarily exposed to hydrogen sulfide by breathing it. The effects depend on how much hydrogen sulfide you breathe and for how long.

Exposure to very high concentrations can quickly lead to death.