OSHA and NIOSH are offering a tool, the OSHA-NIOSH Heat Safety Tool, a useful resource for planning outdoor work activities based on how hot it feels throughout the day. The app provides real-time heat index readings and hourly forecasts, specific to the user’s location, as well as occupational safety and health recommendations from OSHA and NIOSH.
The OSHA-NIOSH Heat Safety Tool features:
- A visual indicator of the current heat index and associated risk levels specific to your current geographical location;
- Precautionary recommendations specific to heat index-associated risk levels;
- An interactive, hourly forecast of heat index values, risk level, and recommendations; for planning outdoor work activities in advance;
- Editable location, temperature, and humidity controls for calculation of variable conditions; and
- Signs and symptoms and first aid information for heat-related illnesses.
You can download the app from the App Store or get it on Google Play.