The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has introduced its Lifting Equation mobile application, NLE Calc – a tool to calculate the overall risk index for single and multiple manual lifting tasks. This application provides risk estimates to help evaluate lifting tasks and reduce the incidence of low back injuries in workers.
Workers in healthcare, manufacturing, transportation, warehousing, agriculture, public safety, retail trade, and other industries are often responsible for manually lifting and moving objects on the job. Research shows that exposure to repetitive motion, force, vibration, and awkward positions put workers at risk for developing work-related musculoskeletal injuries.
NIOSH wanted to develop a mobile application based on the Revised NIOSH Lifting Equation (RNLE) to help practitioners and researchers determine guidelines for job-related manual lifting tasks.
Key benefits of the app:
- Calculates the composite lifting index (CLI) for multiple lifting tasks
- Uses equations approved by NIOSH ergonomists, who were the original creators of the NIOSH Lifting Equation (NLE)
- Promotes better musculoskeletal health and prevention benefits
- Raises workers’ awareness about their job tasks
- Helps workers make informed decisions about the potential hazards to their musculoskeletal health
- Serves as job design guidelines for manual lifting tasks
- Can be used as a research tool to collect manual lifting data