Motel Occupants Evacuated Following Hazardous Materials Spray


WHEAT RIDGE, Colo. — At least 100 people were evacuated from American Motel on Saturday night because of a substance sprayed in a room that spread through the building.

The Arvada Fire Department responded to calls of multiple ill parties at 10200 W. 49th Ave. at 6:20 p.m. At least 100 had been evacuated from the motel and were in the parking lot.

Paramedics checked out and treated multiple patients exhibiting symptoms. At least three people were transported as a precaution with very minor symptoms, according to an Arvada Fire spokeswoman.

Firefighters in hazardous materials gear were able to determine one room had a substance discharged. The spray dissipated through the building and into other rooms, according to Arvada Fire.

Investigators determined the hazmat substance was pepper or bear spray, but no containers were found. The occupants were allowed back in to the motel around 9:30 p.m.

Arvada Fire had no updates on the status of the three occupants transported, but their symptoms were described as very minor.