Manure Gas Kills Worker


OHIO – A soil enhancement company has been cited for serious safety violations as the result of the death of a worker in Vickery, Ohio, who died after inhaling hydrogen sulfide gas from the pig manure he loaded into trailers for use as fertilizer.

Citations were given to W.E. Soil Enhancement for not providing engineering controls and respiratory protection, failing to train workers, and failing to identify and evaluate respiratory hazards. Proposed penalties total $16,800.

According to OSHA, hydrogen sulfide gas (H2S) causes a wide range of health effects. Workers are primarily exposed to hydrogen sulfide by breathing it. The effects depend on how much hydrogen sulfide you breathe and for how long. Exposure to very high concentrations can quickly lead to death.

OSHA’s area director in Toledo said in a news release, “the agriculture industry needs to educate its employees that the foul odors that come with manure spreading are not just unpleasant; they are unsafe and can be deadly. It is imperative that farm workers are protected from inhaling these gasses.”