Hazmat Teams Called to Mercury Exposure at Motel


BAKERSFIELD, CA- Hazmat teams were called to a hotel on Wible Road in response to a mercury exposure.

At least one room in the Ramada Limited motel was placed on lockdown because of a spill that started last week at another location and somehow made it past the quarantine.

Now officials say both locations are contaminated.

The first spill was at a rental home on Lincoln Avenue, where a woman lives with her teenage son.

Authorities of the Bakersfield Fire Department say a teenager found a bottle of liquid mercury in a shed.

Both members of the family were exposed and then decontaminated.

The fire department is still trying to figure out how the mother was exposed to the mercury a second time and how she brought it to the motel where she was staying.

It takes a lot of time to clean up the mess and it can be expensive to clean up the chemical that officials say should not have been in the house in the first place.

The Department of Toxic Substance Control was called out to control the spill.

Officials believe no one else was exposed.