HazMat Scare at Home in Texas


BEAUMONT, TX –  The Beaumont Fire Department responded to a call shortly before 8 a.m. Sunday from a resident at a home in the 4600 block of Barton Lane. The caller believed he was exposed to a white powder after opening his newspaper.

As a precaution the both residents inside the home were sheltered in place. A hazmat unit was sent inside the home and escorted the two occupants outside. Both residents inside the home were sent to the hospital for further evaluation as a precaution.

Capt. Earl White said the hazmat team collected the newspaper and other materials from inside the house but could not ascertain whether there was a substance inside the house. Investigators secured the scene designating the house as off limits as a precaution. Capt. White said it appeared to be an isolated incident.

Investigators will work with the Health Department to further evaluate the materials taken from the house as a precaution.