Hazmat Incident at High School Sends 4 to Hospital

High School

Corona, CA – Cleaning equipment that was emitting fumes at Centennial High School in Corona sent three firefighters and a custodian to the hospital Monday, Sept. 7, according to the Corona Fire Department.

Corona Fire crews investigated and discovered what appeared to be light smoke and an odor of electrical equipment overheating in a classroom. Upon further investigation crews found an electronics cleaning machine that was off gassing fumes.

During the response, Corona firefighters complained of dizziness and respiratory pain. The custodian of the school also experienced similar symptoms. Three firefighters and the custodian were treated and transported to local hospitals and later released.

The Corona Fire Department mitigated the hazardous materials incident and returned the classroom back to Corona Norco Unified School District officials for follow-up.

It was the second incident in four days at Centennial High that the Fire Department responded to. A minor gas leak was reported Friday morning in the metal shop, fire department spokeswoman Lynn Mata said. Firefighters were on scene for only about 20 minutes.