Chemical Exposure at Channel Islands University


CAMARILLO, CA – Hazmat teams from the Ventura County Fire department yesterday responded to a report of a chemical spill at CAL STATE University, Channel Islands.

University Communication Specialist Kim Lamb Gregory told SUN News that 5 students and 2 staff members were exposed to fumes from a leaking container of acryloyl chloride  (a derivative of acrylic acid) – a clear, light yellow, flammable liquid with an acrid smell – stored inside a refrigerator at Aliso Hall.

Ventura County Fire Captain Mike Lindbery told SUN News that their team conducted a Level D entry and determined there was no contamination.

Campus police evacuated the building and assisted firefighters.

The 7 suffered mild symptoms and were treated on site. No other injuries were reported.

Gregory added that a crew from a local environmental agency performed a clean-up this morning and deemed the area safe.